.post-body img { width: 500px!important; height: auto!important; } border: 1px solid #d2d2d2

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hair Soup

I certainly had an entire week's worth of excitement to blog about today, but my plans changed entirely when my three-year-old daughter came downstairs yesterday morning presenting her father with a bowl full of her own hair.
 
But I will get to that in a minute.
 
First of all, I want to send a special, heart-felt thanks to my sis Katie for sending us an authentic King Cake from New Orleans this weekend.
 
We ate the whole.thing.
 
Gigi found the baby. Charlie chewed the baby.
 
(And if you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to brush up on your King Cake facts. Google it.)
 
 

 
THANK YOU KATIE! :)
 
Secondly, we had a snow day Friday (a day off of school) where there was absolutely no snow. But then a pretty snow came Saturday morning. It was all gone by the afternoon, but the girls (and Charlie) enjoyed it while it lasted.



 
Doc and Abby exchanged snowballs.


 
A miniature snowman was created.


 
Gigi suffered inside the warm house, next to the heater.



 
Well, that was a fun day! And the rest of the weekend was fairly non-eventful...
 
So let's talk about the event that occurred yesterday morning that forever altered the course of human history.
 
Ok, I know that is a bit dramatic. But come on! It's pretty dramatic when your little girl brings you a bowl full of her own beautiful, long, silky, straight hair and presents it you like a gift offering.
 
Earlier that morning I had asked her to put away the kids' scissors (first clue) and there was a few-minute-long stretch of silence upstairs (second clue) and I was just finishing busily preparing Abby to get her out the door for school. 
 
Right after Abby hopped on the school bus, I came inside to hear Audrey Kate in the living room with Joe saying, "Look Daddy! I brought you some soup!" I went in the living room to ask Joe a question and saw the "soup" almost immediately at the same time as Joe.
 
"OH AUDREY!" I said, "You cut your baby doll's hair!" And it took a second to process that the hair in the bowl looked so real and much blonder than the hair of the baby dolls that we have.
 
And when I turned to look at her, I noticed the chunks of hair missing on her very own head!


 
(Also in the hair soup are some rubber band pieces and styrofoam pieces--YUM!)

 
I exclaimed," Audrey Kate! You cut your hair!!" Joe and I locked eyes, but his first reaction was to burst into laughter. It was just that awful. I ran into the kitchen without any other words and
 
burst right into tears.
 
But it was the strangest thing, because I was also laughing hysterically. Tears were streaming down my cheeks with the horror of it, but I also realized it was just kinda darn funny.
 
I mean, your kid brings you a bowl full of her own hair and calls it soup? REALLY!?


 
I've been growing her hair out for a while, so that hair chop she gave herself was emotional for me. I love long hair on little girls, and it is totally a personal preference. Probably stemming from the many short-do's that I had over the years that left me scarred for life. Me + short hair = not cool.
 
But I am currently embracing the short-do. Now, in my little girl.

 
And I must say, she is still pretty darn cute. :)

 
It's not what I would have chosen, but you know what?

 
She is a funny, happy, sweet girl who is healthy and fiesty.

 
God has this way of revealing the idols in our life, and of course I have to open my own eyes to realizing the importance I tend to put on appearance.

 
I certainly don't think it is wrong at all to want our kids to look nice and care about the way they look, but it is so important to me that I teach my girls about character and modesty and finding worth in who they are because of what Jesus did for them when he died in their place.
 
Our outward appearance can hide many things from the people around us, but our hearts are never hidden from God.  Outward beauty doesn't change the heart! Only the Lord and His infinite grace and merciful sacrifice has the power to do that.

 
So, with the knowledge of these things, we go forward. We are all a bit wiser. Now the scissors are on a much higher shelf. Now the three-year-old has been lectured on many occasions by many different people that hair-cutting is only to be done by professionals in the special hair-cutting place.
 
And now we remember that the short-do can still be pretty adorable! 
 
(Except, absolutely NOT on me.)
.....................................................................................
 
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
And see if there be any hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way.
Psalm 139:23-24

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Katie!!!! You showed me up! What a better aunt you are than me! Ellen, I love AK's hair... long or short! She is adorbs!

Share It