Friday, March 15, 2013

Rolling Along

We are rolling along here at the Grant house. Just staying busy. And I've almost begun to detest the phrase "staying busy" because I don't think it always entails "doing things that are important."

I am in the process of weeding through and whittling out those activities and such that keep us "busy" but aren't necessarily important. I also spend WAY too much time in my car.

I had a good laugh the other day...Ok, I cried, actually...but laughed about it later after I got pulled over by our local city PD for the SECOND time since living here (less than a year). I have been driving since I was a 16 year old novice and I have never, ever been pulled over by a policeman until I moved here. Is it considered profiling if they are targeting young moms in SUV's?

Anyway, I told the nice policeman that bit of information, after I cried, and he let me off without a ticket. This time I was only pulled over for a burned-out rear brakelight that, let's be honest, I knew was out but just haven't had time to get fixed due to the aforementioned "busy-ness."

The policeman kindly informed me that our town enjoys VERY low criminal activity due, in part, to his diligence. And I wanted to say, but didn't, that perhaps it was boredom that has kept the PD on my tail (no pun intended) these past months. But HEY! I guess it's a small price to pay for living in such a safe place. I joke, but I am thankful for that. And, the policeman was SUPER nice. Even though I couldn't find my insurance card and practically implied that my first amendment rights had been violated. It could have been worse! (And on a side note--why in the world do I suddenly turn snarky when talking with a policeman? Where does that come from?? Oh, my sinful heart!!)

Anyway, my little sidekick Audrey Kate told me the other day that, "I am a handful!" Referring to herself, of course. She had a note of pride in her voice as she said it so I am going to assume that she considers being a "handful" a very good thing. I also agree with her assessment that she is, indeed, a handful. Also, incredibly sweet. I LOVE her to pieces.

 
I went on a crazy health kick recently and, among other odd food purchases, I bought this vegetarian mayonnaise. I use it to make chicken salad, which I make quite a bit for Abby to take in her lunch to school. Regular mayo
 
TURN AWAY IF YOU EAT A TON OF REGULAR MAYO
 
has some strange preservatives in it that I am just trying to avoid, but the kicker is that Abby absolutely loved this mayo subsititute.

Vegenaise is the best name ever!

 
It really IS better than mayo.
 
And not to be confused with someone who has good taste, the Charlie-dog has taken to stealing dryer sheets--unused ones--from the laundry room, straight from the box.

 
I keep finding dryer sheets strewn across my floor. In other news, my house smells downy fresh!
 
My little handful and I took a detour through a nearby Starbucks. She asked for a (decaf) caramel macchiatto. I had the regular! And then she asked me, in all seriousness, "Mommy, do monkeys like to drink these caramel monkey-attos??"

 
She is a funny one.
 
And so, I recently got the new Iphone with the Siri feature. Before I could even figure out how to use it, Abby had Siri calling me by her name!

 
Do you see how it says "Abby" in quotation marks under my name? That is cracking me up. Also, I dont know how to change it.

 
Life with kids, right?
 
We just keep rolling along!

2 comments:

c said...

Hi Ellen, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Lauren said...

Audrey is soooo stinkin cute!!!!!!! :)

Share It